There are still debates about if the great leaders are born or made. Some say that the leadership skills are something that’s in the blood, and if the person is not born a leader, no learning will help. Their opponents, however, state that the leadership is like a skill and it can be learned, as follows.
I agree with the second statement, and lots of leadership trainings and books on how to turn yourself into a leader also reaffirm it. But what the ‘leadership’ word means for us is plenty of skills and abilities, which, in my opinion, makes a successful leader. And, having formed these habits and ways to act, you can turn yourself into a good leader. So, what are these qualities?
- Confidence and high self-esteem. Probably, it’s the first point we mention when someone who is, in our opinion, a good leader. A leader cannot be imagined without faith in everything he does and belief in himself.
- Passion to what he does. You are unlikely to become a worthy leader in the sales department, if you don’t like to sale. And if you work for IT company and are indifferent about this sphere, maybe, it’s time to look for another job? The real leaders really love what they do, and their passion inspires the others to do their bestto meet the company’s goals.
- The habit to delegate the tasks. A good leader is not the guy who can do everything for everyone. A good leader is one who knows where to find the best person to do this task and how to make him do his best. Leadership is all about delegating, so, in order to become a success, learn to allot the zones of responsibility.
- Communicative skills. Your task as a leader is to get the work done of the best quality and as soon as possible. For that, you’ll need the ability to clearly explain the subordinate what you want from him. An effective communication system in the workplace is the background of success, that’s why if you can’t call yourself a great communicator – train it!
- Responsibility for what you do, or don’t do. As a leader, you’re responsible not only for your own actions, but also for everything your subordinates do.
- Positive way of thought. Depressed and not cheerful leader is not going to inspire the team for achieving high results. So, if you want to be a success as a leader, form the positive attitude to life – be proactive, open, willing to help and take the failures not as a disaster, but as a lesson, a something that teaches you to become even better.
- Creativity and the ability to inspire your team. As a leader, you’ll have lots of non-standard situation you’ll have to sort our by yourself. Life is not a workbook with answers, so you’ll need the ability to follow your intuition and creativity to find the solution of some problem.
And as for ability to inspire the people, it cannot be trained. But if you follow all the mentioned points and develop these qualities, you’ll find yourself able to inspire those who follow you!