Hello, and welcome to the Leadership Done Right Podcast, Episode 42: Prioritize, Lead People, and Improve Lives with Scott Smith.
Get to Know Scott
Our guest today is a family man, career professional, and business leader. He earned his undergraduate degree in business with a focus on finance and a minor in behavioral sciences. Our guest also earned his MBA. He has quite a diverse background.
Scott’s Air Force Service
He was in the Air Force and studied Korean at the Defense Language Institute. He then used that knowledge and went to South Korea to intercept North Korean military radio broadcasts.
His career highlights include 4 years in accounting preparing taxes for individuals and small businesses, and 12 years in banking working with hundreds of small businesses.
MBA Caused Career Shift
During his MBA program he was recruited by Hewlett-Packard factory supply chain. He worked with a small team managing an automated warehouse and ended up managing logistics operations where he led between 130-150 people.
Our guest then left HP and got involved in small business turnarounds. He is now involved with two companies working to get products to market. Our guest runs his own business where he emphasizes business and social media strategy and has a joint venture, OneUnifiedStrategy.com, where they specialize in helping freelancers. He also speaks about leadership and motivational listening.
How We Connected
We connected several years ago through some common leadership interests and have been in touch ever since. I am excited to have him on the show. Our guest today is Scott Smith. Scott, welcome to the show!
The Speed Round
- Who is the one leader you look up to most and why? My Mother because she was a great leader in our community. She was involved with several groups and received several awards. But, she never did it for that. She did it because she saw things that needed to be done and wanted to get them done.
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? Go to college to learn how to learn.
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success? Take in information and learn how to pull in different patterns.
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? A Smaller History of Rome by Dr. Smith. We can learn a lot about where we will go in the future by looking at the history and the past because people are the same.
- On a light-hearted note, what is your favorite hobby? I love to play music and have three guitars and a bass. One of my favorite things is going to blues jams.
Connect With Scott Smith
What’s the best way to connect with Scott?
One Final Question
If you could go back in time and give yourself advice when you first started your leadership journey, what would it be and why? Start taking more notes and write down my thoughts more because I learn a lot more as I do it.
Thank you for listening to this episode of the Leadership Done Right Podcast. If you would like to listen to the next episode of this podcast, please subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or whatever other podcast platform you use. You can also check out the full list of episodes and platforms with this podcast at LeadershipDoneRight.com/LDRPodcast.
I would like you ask you a special favor. If you enjoyed listening to this podcast, I would really appreciate it if you go to iTunes to write a review of this podcast with your feedback. I read every review and will do my best to make this show the best it can be based on your feedback. That will also increase the visibility of this podcast and help other great listeners like you to hear about it.
Thanks again for listening! My goal is to help you become a great leader, now go be the best leader you can be!