Hello, and welcome to the Leadership Done Right Podcast, Episode 63: 5 Tips For Leadership and Personal Progress.
Hello, hello! This week I was out with some friends and we were doing some off-roading in my truck. I stopped for a moment so we could look at some wildlife in the area.
When we decided to go again, I shifted the car and hit the gas. By accident, I shifted to neutral so I wasn’t going anywhere. I casually said to my friends, “Well, I can’t go anywhere without the car in gear. I can’t go back or forward.” To which my friend replied, “There’s a lot of good lessons we can take from that.” So what are some lessons we can learn from that?
There’s a lot of great lessons about progress. I want to focus this episode on what we can do in leadership to avoid being stuck in neutral. In leadership, we can’t be stuck in neutral. Instead, we need to be progressing to move forward!
In this episode, I will share five ways we can move forward in our leadership.
Leadership Tip of the Week
Create an agenda for your meetings and hold to it. The most ineffective meetings I have ever attended have been the ones where there was no agenda from the start. Everyone showed up to the meeting with different expectations which led to confusion, frustration, and ineffective meetings.
The agenda may seem insignificant or be overlooked, but it is extremely important for the success of the meeting. The agenda acts as a roadmap for the meeting. It provides direction and helps people stay on track.
An agenda should include the following:
- The date and time of the meeting
- The title of the meeting
- The end goals, purpose, and specific objectives of the meeting
- The meeting facilitator
- The person in charge of taking meeting minutes.
- The main points/topics that will be discussed
- The length of time you will talk about each topic
5 Tips for Leadership and Personal Progress
As I mentioned at the start, if we are stuck in neutral, we are not moving forward. That holds us back from becoming the leader we are meant to be. So let’s get down to business and discuss five tips to make leadership and personal progress!
1. Reflect on the past
Look at your past experiences.
What was successful? Why was it successful? What failures have you had and why?
2. Read from good books
Here’s some of my most recommended books:
The best way to become a great leader is to learn the best habits of great leaders. Once you learn their habits, you can actively do what they do as it is applicable to you in your situation. Here are some of the best books on leadership.
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You by John C. Maxwell
- The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth by John C. Maxwell
- Start with Why by Simon Sinek
- Leading with Integrity: Character-Based Leadership by Alan Kolp and Peter Rea
- Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel by Alan Loy McGinnis
Identify your Strengths and Weaknesses
Before you know how to improve, you must know where you need improvement. You can know where to improve by identifying your strengths and weaknesses. There are several books and even tests that specifically address how to find your strengths. Some of the best books to identify your strengths are:
- StrengthsFinder 2.0 by Tom Rath
- Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow by Tom Rath
- Entrepreneurial Strengthsfinder by Jim Clifton
- Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis Bradberry
- Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham
As a leader, your time is extremely valuable. Therefore, you must make the most of every minute of every day. Here are some of the best books that helped me learn to use my time more effectively.
- The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich (Expanded and Updated) by Timothy Ferriss
- The 10X Rule:The Only Difference Between Success and Failure by Grant Cardone
- The Productivity Project by Chris Bailey
- The ONE Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
The more you understand others, the better you relate and interact with them. When you have good interpersonal skills, you can create positive long-lasting relationships with others. Below are some of the best books to help you learn how to understand and influence others.
- How to win friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business by Charles Duhigg
- Tell to Win: Connect, Persuade, and Triumph with the Hidden Power of Story by Peter Gruber
- The Power of Body Language by Joe Navarro
Whether you are starting an online business, a business out of your home, or opening up another type of business, the books below will help you identify your target market and create a business to meet their needs.
- Will It Fly? How to Test Your Next Business Idea So You Don’t Waste Your Time and Money by Pat Flynn
- Platform: Get Noticed In A Noisy World by Michael Hyatt
- ME 2.0: 4 Steps to Building Your Future by Dan Schawbel
- The Digital Handshake: Seven Proven Strategies to Grow Your Business Using Social Media by Paul Chaney
- The Pumpkin Plan: A Simple Strategy to Grow a Remarkable Business in Any Field by Mike Michalowicz
Some people just know how to think strategically, but for most people it is a learned skill. When you think strategically, you can effectively anticipate and plan for the future moves of your competitors. You are also able to make good decisions for your benefit. These are some of the best books that will give you all you need to start your journey as a strategic thinker:
- Thinking Strategically: The Competitive Edge in Business, Politics, and Everyday Life by Avinash K. Dixit and Barry J. Nalebuff
- The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell
- The Art of Strategy: A Game Theorist’s Guide to Success in Business and Life by Avinash K. Dixit and Barry J. Nalebuff
Whether you are conveying a point to a family member, coaching a coworker in their new role, buying a product, interviewing for a job, or trying to close a deal, you are always negotiating. Negotiating is an everyday part of life. These are some of the best books to help you learn how to negotiate to get the most out of every aspect of life.
- Getting More: How You Can Negotiate to Succeed In Work and Life by Stuart Diamond
- Never Lose Again: Become a Top Negotiator by Asking the Right Questions by Steven Babitsky and James J. Mangraviti Jr.
Ever since I was little my dad has always said, “It doesn’t matter how much money you make, what matters is how much you save and where you put your money.” These are some of the best books to learn the principles of true wealth and financial freedom. These are some of the most valuable books I own!
- The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime by MJ DeMarco
- The Millionaire Next Door by William D. Danko and Thomas J. Stanley
- Rich Dad Poor Dad — What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- Multiple Streams of Income for a New Millennium by Robert G. Allen
How do learn to be successful? You find those who are successful and learn what they did to become successful! These are some of the best books to learn principles that successful people live by to attain their success. Check them out to start (or continue) your journey to success!
- What Got You Here Won’t Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful by Marshall Goldsmith
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
- The Go-Giver: A Little Story About A Powerful Business Idea by Bob Burg and John David Mann
- OUTLIERS: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell
On average, positive thinkers have more friends and are in better moods. They also enjoy better health and have a longer life expectancy. These are just a few of the benefits that come from positive thinking. These books help you learn how to cultivate a positive attitude so that you can be happier and life a happier life.
- Broadcasting Happiness by Michelle Gielan
- The Positive Dog by Jon Gordon
- BLINK: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell
Have you ever felt like you were wandering through life without a solid plan? If you have, then this is the book for you! These are some to best books for you to determine what you want out of life and then create the plan to get that life.
- Living Forward: A Proven Plan to Stop Drifting and Get the Life You Want by Michael Hyatt
- The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed To Transform Your Life Before 8AM by Hal Elrod
3. Follow great leaders
Blogs, podcasts, videos.
Kevin Kruse, Dan Black, Michael Hyatt
4. Practice leadership
Role Play, Take on new opportunities, Go outside your comfort zone in safe situations
5. Seek education
College, certifications, coaching,
Before we go, let’s summarize how we can continually progress as leaders.
- Reflect on the Past
- Read from Good Books
- Follow Great Leaders
- Practice Leadership
- Seek Education
Thank you for listening to this episode of the Leadership Done Right podcast. You can check out the show notes at LeadershipDoneRight.com/PodcastEpisode63. I will include an outline of the topics we discussed and related links.
If you enjoyed this episode, please write a review where you listen to this podcast. Also, please tell your friends about it and share it on social media.
Thanks again for listening! My goal is to help you become a great leader, now go be the best leader you can be!
How to Subscribe?
If you subscribe, you will automatically get every episode. Please use the links below to subscribe to the podcast: