This is a guest post by John Kelly. He is an able writer and willing to write leadership strategies, business enhancement ways etc. Usually MBA students contacting him and ask him to write an essay for me and he provide excellent tips to complete your task.
While there may not be a definite answer to the question that whether leadership is a natural talent or one can learn to be a great leader, the fact remains that even the best leaders that the world has ever known honed their skills over time to become an even greater force than they were. Considering that, it wouldn’t be wrong to say that one can polish and learn some skills that will make them a leader or at the very least make them a better person.
The way businesses work has changed a lot in the last couple of decades and so has the concept of leadership. Now there is more than one type of leader in a company. But perhaps the most important one in any business is a strategic leader.
What is a strategic leader?
You guessed it – a strategic leader is one who utilizes strategy while efficiently dealing with the people for which he is responsible. How is that different than any other type of leader? Well, the answer to that is that how he manages his people is in direct relationship of with the strategy of the whole company. He tries to motivate the people by inculcating in them the vision of the company.
There are a few key qualities that every strategic leader should have. Let’s take a look at those qualities:
- Devotion: A person can’t really be a leader if they are not wholeheartedly devoted to an idea or vision. That is why loyalty and faithfulness to a cause, which is the same as the motto or the ideology of the company, is so important for a great strategic leader. It wouldn’t be wrong to say that this is the biggest cornerstone of the strategic leadership.
- Knowing everything there is to know: Another hallmark of a great strategic leader is that that person is well aware of what is happening in the organization of which he/she is the leader. Knowing what problems are faced by the people he/she is organizing is vital information to keep on top of things and perform the duties in an efficient manner.
- Being a people person: A leader should get along with other people because that is the only way that person can solve the problems of others and can successfully convey what needs to be conveyed. Without being able to getting along with others, it really becomes difficult to communicate and get organized.
- Being reliable: People will only trust you if they know that they can count on you. And the only way one can achieve that is by fulfilling and keeping one’s word. Because what we say to others has a unique power and people only have faith in us if they know that we are going to do with what we have said.
- Vast Knowledge: A leader can’t truly be a leader if their knowledge is restricted to just one specific topic. Having a vast knowledge of different things that are a part of daily life is the only way one can lead and motivate the people who look up to him.