Hello, and welcome to the Leadership Done Right podcast, Episode 23: Back to the Leadership Basics with Kelly Roach.
Get to Know Kelly
Our guest today is a former NFL cheerleader turned Fortune 500 Executive and now, CEO of Kelly Roach International. She built her business on the side while at her corporate job before taking it full time. She then doubled her business when her daughter was a newborn and retired her husband at the same time.
In addition to her entrepreneurial success, she is also the host of top-rated podcast Unstoppable Success Radio and the author of the 11x International bestseller UNSTOPPABLE: 9 Principles for Unlimited Success in Business & Life. She leads online coaching programs and offers private mentoring as well.
My Personal Connection
I have been listening to her podcast for a little while now and she is a great mentor with great experience. Our guest today is Kelly Roach. Kelly, welcome to the show!
How To Get Back To The Leadership Basics
Kelly explains that to get back to leadership basics, reflect on what it means to be a better leader. That involves thinking strategically about the business and reflecting on being a better leader. Almost no one does that. They don’t have time scheduled on their calendar to assess their leadership growth.
The most important job of the leader is to perform at their peak performance everyday so they lead their team. When they do that successfully, their team is successful! Take the time to focus on becoming a better leader. It sounds simple, but requires a time commitment.
Look at your own performance critically and ask yourself, “What do I need to do to be a better coach? What do I need to do to lead more effective team meetings and more effective one-on-ones?” That all falls on the leadership and it has such a substantial impact on your teams performance. But, leaders must get back to the leadership basics!
The Speed Round
- Who is the one leader you look up to most and why? My first mentor, Dave, and Tony Robbins.
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? “If it’s going to be, it’s up to me”, so take total ownership of your life and constructing your potential.
- What’s a personal habit that contributes to your success?
- Getting 8 hours of sleep
- Drinking tons of water
- Doing something everyday to invest in raising my energy to perform at the level that I want to.
- If you could recommend one book to our listeners, what would it be and why? Think and Grow Rich by Nepoleon Hill. It opens up a world of possibility to anyone that is open and reads the book. It helps you recognize the power of your mind and the possibilities/abundance of opportunity available to all of us.
If you like Think and Grow Rich, check out this post about visualization.
- On a light-hearted note, what is your favorite hobby? Exercising, fun outdoor activities, and doing fun stuff with my daughter
Connect With Kelly
What’s the best way to connect with Kelly?
- Kelly Roach Coaching Website
- Unstoppable Success Radio Podcast – Three episodes are released a week geared towards helping entrepreneurs go faster at starting their business.
- For leaders trying to get more out of your team: For the free training series text “Big ROI” to 44222
One Final Question
If you could go back in time and give yourself advice when you first started your leadership journey, what would it be and why?
Be patient with yourself and others, enjoy the journey, and start your business sooner!
Thank you for listening to this episode of the Leadership Done Right Podcast. If you would like to listen to the next episode of this podcast, please subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or whatever other podcast platform you use. You can also check out the full list of episodes and platforms with this podcast at LeadershipDoneRight.com/LDRPodcast.
I would like you ask you a special favor. If you enjoyed listening to this podcast, I would really appreciate it if you go to iTunes to write a review of this podcast with your feedback. I read every review and will do my best to make this show the best it can be based on your feedback. That will also increase the visibility of this podcast and help other great listeners like you to hear about it.
Thanks again for listening! My goal is to help you become a great leader, now go be the best leader you can be!